Our craze for newfound cuisines has long ago pulled us away from our traditional food practices. Traditional Indian food always had all the required ingredients for boosting immunity in our body and keeping us healthy.
It is important that we quickly re-adapt to our traditional food practices to boost our immunity and keep ourselves safe against not just covid, but any such pandemic or other diseases that may surface out in future. It is also important to boost our body’s immune system in order to generally stay healthy and lead a happy life.
We would like to summarize the importance of 5 such ingredients on how they are helpful in boosting immunity!
- Citrus Fruits: Many of you know citrus fruits like orange, lemon, sweet lime and grapes are rich in Vitamin C, a nutrient that strengthens our immune system. They also contain good amounts of other nutrients like Vitamin B, phosphorus, magnesium, potassium and copper besides being rich in plant compounds that have various health benefits including anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant effects.
- Ginger: The aromatic spice is a commoner in the Indian Kitchen. Ginger is also a common home medicine for stomachache, vomiting and common cold. The anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties in ginger can improve immunity in our body. Ginger soaked in honey, consumed in empty stomach every morning, is an age-old practice in keeping the digestive systems healthy, boosting our immunity and staying healthy.
- Turmeric: For a very long time, turmeric has been one of the most used medicinal spices in India. It has more than 300 nutrients beta-carotene, flavonoids, calcium, iron, ascorbic acid, potassium, zinc, etc. Curcumin, the abundantly available polyphenol in turmeric is anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant and anti-bacterial in nature with wound healing effects. Turmeric is a powerful immunity booster and an ingredient used time immemorial in Indian cuisines.
- Garlic: The best way to make garlic work as an immune booster is to use it in a way that we will chew and eat it. When it is crushed and chewed, ‘allicin’, an ingredient in garlic converts in to sulphur containing compounds that gives it the medicinal properties. These compounds have been shown to boost the disease fighting response of some types of white blood cells of the body.
- Almonds: They are forever the best snack. Almonds are high in vitamin E that acts as an anti-oxidant helping the body’s immune system function. They also contain iron and protein that are essential for the immune system. Almonds lower bad cholesterol and are also packed with potassium and magnesium that along with vitamin E ensures free flow of nutrients in the blood.