Passenger Cover is an additional benefit in your car insurance that provides personal accident insurance for unnamed passengers travelling in your car.
This cover provides personal accident insurance to any paid drivers that you employ temporarily
This is an additional cover that comes handy in case if your car tyres get damaged due to road impact or certain other reasons specified in your policy.
This cover keeps your NCB intact in case of a single incident of your car’s windshield (Glass) damage and replacement. The glass replacement is done without any deductions.
This add-on covers your travel cost back home or to nearby destination including any emergency overnight hotel stay if required, in case your car encounters an accident.
Insurers provide a host of on-site services in case you are stranded on the road.
It is not uncommon for people to get stranded during road trips on their cars. There are various reasons due to which you could get in to such a situation.
Most of the Insurers in India offer ‘Emergency Road Side Assistance’ (RSA) cover as an additional cover on a comprehensive car insurance policy.
- Minor Repairs to your car – In case of mechanical/electrical breakdown, the insurer will provide ‘on-site repair’ through their nearby authorised repairers. They will try to ensure minor faults are rectified on site and you are good to go at least until you reach the nearest safe destination.
- Towing Services – In case if the fault cannot be rectified on site, the insurer’s service provider will provide towing services to reach your car to the nearest authorised work shop.
- Locked out or Loss of Keys – In case if you are mistakenly locked out of your car or have lost your car keys, the insurer will provide on-site assistance in getting the keys out of the vehicle or deliver duplicate key from place of residence, if possible.
- Flat Tyres – The insurer’s service provider will assist in changing the flat tyre with the spare tyre of your car.
- Battery Failure – The service provider will assist in battery jump start.
- Ran out of Fuel – The Insurer will assist in providing fuel up to 5 litres on- site at your cost, in case if you ran out of fuel.
- Wrong fuel filled – The insurer will provide the cost of emptying the fuel tank in case wrong fuel is mistakenly filled.
The specific covers under RSA will vary from Insurer to Insurer. Most of the insurers don’t take in to account claims under RSA while considering No Claim Bonus during renewals.
When you buy insurance for your car or bike, it is very essential that you choose the right IDV.
Insured’s Declared Value (IDV) is the value that you insure your vehicle for. In case of an adverse total loss due to an accident or theft of your vehicle, this is the total loss value you will receive. Obviously, it will benefit you in such circumstances to support buying another vehicle.
Insurers do not accept whatever IDV you chooseContinue reading “Be aware of the importance of IDV in your vehicle insurance”
A tyre cover will be important when your car’s tyre gets damaged due to
- Road impact cuts or bursts – when there is no accidental damage to the car.
- Impact bulging not related to manufacturing defect or any other chemical or atmospheric changes.
- Flattening of tyres due to hard braking.
The above types of damages to tyres are not covered by a normal comprehensive insurance.
The fact that cost of tyres is nowadays very high and difficult to afford makes a ‘tyre cover’ quite essential, particularly for high-end cars where the costs are huge compared to the additional premium paid.
We should note that under the tyre cover the replacement of tyre is allowed only once during the policy year. Once replaced, if the cover needs to remain, requisite revised premium may have to be paid and endorsed on the insurance policy.
It should also be noted that the percentage of claim settled will be proportionate to the remaining life of the tyre (measured as per the depth of the available tread).
Adding a windshield cover in your car insurance may protect your NCB for the next year renewal
In a usual comprehensive insurance policy, if the windshield glass (front or rear) alone gets damaged without any accidental damage to the car, the replacement will be considered as an Own Damage claim.
In this case, the No Claim Bonus (NCB) will not be available for next year renewal of your car insurance.
If a windshield cover is added in your car insurance, in case of damage to windshield without any damage to your car, the replacement of the glass for the first time during the year will not be considered as an OD claim. The No Claim Bonus will be available without any reduction during your next renewal.
If your new vehicle is bought after 1st September 2018, you will require ‘OD only’ renewal..
All new cars and bikes that are sold by dealers from 1st September 2018 will have 3 years and 5 years third party insurance as per the Order of the Honourable Supreme Court of India.
That is, a new car sold on 1st September 2018 will have third party (TP) insurance coverage up to 31st August 2021 and a new bike up to 31st August 2023.